that the way certain types of women have been acting these past few months lends a good deal of color to the argument that the mental equilibrium of the female s.e.x is less than that of the male’s.
你知道,他们说某些类型的女人过去几个月来行动的方式给一种争论增添了不少色彩,即女人不如男人心理平衡。
5.Militant
We do not want to be lawbreakers. We want to be lawmakers.
我们不想违法。我们想成为立.法.者。
Be militant, each of you in your own way.
去奋斗吧,用你自己的方式。
Those of you who can break the windows, break them.
你们谁能打破窗户,就去打破。
Those of you who can further attack the sacred idol of property, do so.
你们谁能进一步攻击神圣的财产圣像,就去做。
We have been left with no alternative but to defy this government.
我们别无选择,只能违抗旧体系。
If we must go to prison to obtain the vote, let it be the window of government, not the bodies of women which shall be broken.
如果我们必须进监狱才能获得投票.权,就让它成为撕开旧体系的窗口,而不仅是被伤害的妇女的身体。
I incite this meeting and all the women in Britain to rebellion.
我鼓动了这次会议,和所有英.国女性去反抗。
I would rather be a rebel than a slave.
我宁可成为反.叛.者,也绝不做奴.隶。
6.Scorn
They scorn and mock us because they feel our threat.
他们嘲笑和蔑视我们是因为他们感觉到了我们的威胁。
7.Discern
--Violence doesn\''t discern. It takes the innocent and the guilty. What gives you the right to put that woman’s life at risk?
暴力不可理解。它让无罪也变成了有罪。谁给你的权利去拿那个女人的生命冒险?
8.Riot
-- What gave you the right to stand in the middle of a riot and watch women beaten and do nothing? You’re a hypocrite.
-- I uphold the law.
——那又是谁给你的权利去傻站在□□中间看着妇女被殴打而什么也不做?你个伪君子。
——我维护法律。
9.Surveillance
Here’s the latest from surveillance, sir.
这是监视的最新消息,长官。
10.Surrender
Never surrender. Never give up the fight.
绝不投降。永远不放弃斗争。
11.Cling (过去式和过去分词:clung)
The woman, having discarded all to which she’d formerly clung, cries out, ‘ For what do I go to this far land which no one has ever reached? I am alone. I’m utterly alone.’
那抛弃了她以前所依附的一切的女人,哭喊道:“我为什么要到这个遥远的从没有人来过的大陆?我孑然一身。我太孤独了。”
And reason said to her, ‘ Silence. What do you hear?’
而理性对她说:“请安静。你听见了什么?”
And she said, ‘ I hear the sound of feet. A thousand times, ten thousands and thousands of thousands, and they beat this way.’
她说:“我听到了脚步声。一千次,上万次,百万次…它们朝这边走来了。”
‘They are the feet of those that shall follow you. Lead on.’
“她们是跟随着你的啊。请带路吧。”